Discuss the media’s portrayal of the five illnesses chosen. How do the
various media sources depict mental illnesses in terms of stigma,
misconceptions, diagnostic and treatment methods, and legal and ethical
issues? Provide relevant research, examples, and case studies from the media
and academic articles.
Discuss how this depiction impacts the perception of mental illness and the
way people with mental illnesses are perceived. Discuss the impact on
diagnosis and treatment. Refer to relevant and credible sources of information.
- How are mental illnesses depicted in the media?
- Consider mainstream media, social media, and movies.
- Discuss the following: stigma and misconceptions, diagnostic and treatment
methods, and legal and ethical issues.
- Pick at least one of the illnesses from each of the following groups:
A) Anxiety, OCRDs, depressive and bipolar disorders
B) Trauma and stressor disorders, dissociative disorders, somatic symptoms
C) Schizophrenia spectrum disorders, personality disorders
D) Neurodevelopmental and neurocognitive disorders
E) Substance use and addictive disorders and eating disorders
- How do these depictions impact people’s perceptions of mental illness and of those with mental illnesses? What is the impact on the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders?