Faculty of Business Studies
Arab Open University
Marketing & Society
Tutor Monitoring Assignment (TMA)_KSA [V1]
In order to conduct your analysis, pick a new social marketing campaign in your country. Pick a campaign/organization about which you can obtain information. Examples of social marketing campaigns include, but are not limited to: Anti-smoking or anti-tobacco campaign – Anti-drug – Tackling the issue of drinking and driving – Promoting road safety – Promoting railroad station safety – Promoting exercise and healthy eating – Water rationing – Endangered species awareness – Anti-bullying – Waste management and recycling – Anti-littering – Reducing disposable plastic bag use in favor of reusable bag use – Reducing paper use, especially paper towel use – Encourage food donations to poor, disadvantaged people – Tackling health-related illnesses/sicknesses/diseases such as Covid-19, cancer, etc. – Helping displaced people which are affected by natural disasters: e.g. hurricane, snow storms, mud slides, earthquakes, volcanoes, etc. – Anti-deforestation, etc.
The TMA aims to assess your understanding of the core concepts of marketing and society. This assignment tackles different dimensions of the concepts of marketing, society and social marketing campaigns. The ultimate purpose of this TMA is to allow you to develop your ability to use the conceptual frameworks, theories, practices, models and tools that you have studied in B324 and hence to apply them to real situations.
- This TMA has two questions. Word limit for the TMA: 1750 words +/- 10%.
Elaborate discussion and link between accurate, well founded theoretical frameworks and their real, practical applications in the selected organization; this should be clearly highlighted. You are also expected to refer to external sources of information to provide more evidence for your discussion. The questions in this assignment are about different concepts of marketing and society in relation to a selected social marketing campaign.
Your discussion needs to be provided in essay format (introduction, body and conclusion). You have to provide comprehensive discussion/analysis in your answer, and not only description.
Higher marks will be awarded to work that:
- reflects detailed and thorough evaluations and analyses in relation to the selected social marketing campaign,
- uses the example campaign/company to illustrate key points rather than just describe what it did. Descriptive answers will receive lower marks,
- uses a range of scholarly articles to support the key points, or to develop its arguments,
- uses correct in-text citations and a correct table of references,
- is well-written in essay format,
- has a conclusion which addressed the question directly,
- is within 10% of the word limit.
Question 1 (100 marks / 40% weighting)
Propose a marketing plan for a new social marketing campaign in your country. Research in appropriate detail to present a realistic social marketing plan. (650 words, +/- 10%).
Question 2 (100 marks / 60% weighting)
Based on the marketing plan you proposed in question 1, assess your proposal.
Explain how fear in messages is used for persuasion of the target audience, and evaluate the degree to which using fear in messages can be effective in the selected social marketing campaign. (1100 words, +/- 10%)
GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR STUDENTS
- Cut-off date: If you feel that you are unable to meet the cut-off date of the TMA because of unusual circumstances, please contact your tutor as soon as possible to discuss a possible extension to the cut-off date. The exact cut-off date will be assigned in due time.
- Course material:
- Students need to refer to external sources of information, in addition to B324 course material where applicable.
- Format: Report presentation and structure, and PT3 Form. You are expected to write your answers in essay format. You may, however, use bullet points, diagrams, tables, or any graphs to support your arguments. Failing to do so could result in grade deduction from presentation marks up to 5 marks.
- Plagiarism: It’s imperative that you write your answers using your own words. Plagiarism will be penalized depending on its severity and according to AOU plagiarism policy (Enclosed after these instructions you will find the Arab Open University rules of cheating and plagiarism).
- Word count: 1750 words +/- 10%. Not adhering to specified word count could result in grade deduction from word count marks up to 5 marks.
- Referencing: You are expected to use the Harvard referencing style for in-text referencing and list of reference at the end. Failing to do so could result grade deduction of referencing marks up to 10 marks. In addition, although text books assigned in the course may be used freely as references, you are required to use a minimum of 2 external sources. It is recommended that you use scholarly studies found in the E-library link in the LMS.
The Arab Open University Rules about Plagiarism
The Arab Open University Definitions of cheating and plagiarism
According to the Arab Open University By-laws, “The following acts represent studies of cheating and plagiarism:
- Verbatim copying of printed material and submitting them as part of TMAs without proper academic acknowledgement and documentation.
- Verbatim copying of material from the Internet, including tables and graphics.
- Copying other students’ notes or reports.
- Using paid or unpaid material prepared for the student by individuals or firms.
- Utilization of, or proceeding to utilize, contraband materials or devices in examinations.”
Examples of Plagiarism
Copying from a single or multiple sources, this is where the student uses one or more of the following as the basis for the whole, or a good part, of the assignment:
- Published or unpublished books, studies or reports
- The Internet
- The media (e.g.TV programmes, radio programmes or newspaper studies)
- An essay from an essay bank
- A piece of work previously submitted by another student
- Copying from a text which is about to be submitted for the same assignment