HI5013 MANAGING ACROSS BORDERS
Assessment 2: Individual assignment
Maximum 3000 word report – excludes Executive Summary and Appendices.
Max 4 pages for appendices
Student selects one of the following topics and discusses as require:
1. Choose a global fashion, automobile or grocery/supermarket company that has expanded across
borders into Asia. Discuss and critique its approach to ‘Internationalisation’ including a clear analysis
of the strategies and process it has used to expand across borders. Also provide a detailed analysis of
the challenges and problems the business has faced as it has expanded into the Asian market.
2. Research, discuss and identify how ‘globalization’ impacts business today, and what international
managers must know to stay ahead of the game. Identify and discuss how outsourcing and
offshoring contribute to globalization using a company case study to identify the challenges,
opportunities and problems that globalization presents.
3. Choose the government of any company that is a member of the World Bank. Analyse the
activities of the World Bank as it relates to improving the infrastructure of the said country through
its government. How has that country improved in that particular infra -structural area and how
have the related organizations managed in this global context.
4. Conduct an analysis of the socio-cultural implications for managers in the course of doing business
between Australia and China and/or India. Use a case study company that has shown success in it’s
global strategies in this regard.
5. Understanding National Culture and its differences has a significant impact on the international
manager’s ability to effectively deal with different cultures. Discuss the concept of an ‘Ethnocentric’
versus ‘Polycentric’ and ’Geocentric’ approach to management. Identify a company that has
expanded globally and how it has had to change its management approach to work effectively across
different values and national cultures.
6. Research, identify and discuss the key differences in negotiation and decision making processes
used between American and Middle Eastern companies/businesses. Identify an American company
that has expanded into the Middle East and use it as a case study to discuss what changes American
managers would need to make in order to ensure success in this market.
Suggested limits are as follows:
Executive Summary: ideally one page but no more than two.
Sections 1: Introduction 400-600 words,
Section 2: Main body of the essay 2,000-2,500 words,
Sections 3: Conclusions 100-300 words,
References (5-15 references). Harvard Style Referencing