|Name||Business Research Project|
|Year, Trimester||2023 Trimester 2|
|Due Date and Week||Friday of Week 9|
|Student ID||First Name||Family Name||Work Contribution|
|Integrity Declaration||Student ID||Full Name||Submission Date|
|We have read and understand academic integrity policies and practices and our assessment does not violate these.|
|Holmes Institute is committed to ensuring and upholding academic integrity. All assessment must comply with academic integrity guidelines. Important academic integrity breaches include plagiarism, collusion, copying, impersonation, contract cheating, data fabrication and falsification. Please learn about academic integrity and consult your teachers with any questions. Violating academic integrity is serious and punishable by penalties that range from deduction of marks, failure of the assessment task or unit involved, suspension of course enrolment, or cancellation of course enrolment.|
|· Assessments must be in MS Word format with no spacing, 11-pt Calibri font and at least 2cm margins on all four sides with appropriate section headings and page numbers.
· You must name your file with the Unit Code and Group Number (e.g. “HI6008 Group 4”).
· Check that you submit the correct document as special consideration is not granted if you make a mistake.
· Student IDs need to be indicated on the cover page. Non-contributing students do not receive marks.
|Penalties||· All work must be submitted on Blackboard by the due date and time along with a completed Assessment Cover Page. Late penalties apply.
· Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using Holmes Institute Adapted Harvard Referencing. Penalties are associated with incorrect citation and referencing.
|Purpose of the assessment||Carry out a basic review of relevant literature for each of the Research Questions (8 academic articles are required, plus optionally a business report and/or a relevant current news item).
Unless you are a SOLO GROUP (i.e. one person working alone) this assignment also requires the addition of an appendix in which you list the student numbers and names of your team members and complete a Team Charter, indicating what role(s) each has contributed.
A brief presentation in-class may be requested by your lecturer or tutor or unit coordinator. If so you will be notified by email.
Matches to Unit Learning Outcomes 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
|Weight||50 % of the total assessments|
|Word limit||2500 words for the Literature Review [Note that a Team Charter is additional to the word-count of the Literature Review]|
*Note: Students are required to form groups consisting of 4 students per group. If you are unable to form a group, you will have to undertake this assignment as a ‘solo-group’, in which case you must enroll yourself as a group of 1 (i.e. you). You will not be able to submit your assignment unless you are OFFICIALLY enrolled into a group. Solo submission incur a penalty of -20%.
Assignment 1 Specifications
This unit aims to give you an opportunity to combine many facets of your acquired MBA skills into the production of a high-quality research Literature Review. Your tutor’s main role will be to FACILITATE you through the process, week by week. You will need to be watching to the weekly video lectures as well as attending tutorials and engaging in discussion with your tutor during the interactive tutorials and drop-in sessions.
Your Literature Review research must and include a mix of academic articles from relevant English language peer-reviewed journals that are current (post 2018) and may also include some industry / company-specific information obtained from published online open-access sources. You will form a group with three other students (i.e. the specified size of an assignment group in this unit is 4 persons). Please follow the instructions in the Blackboard site of this unit regarding assignment group formation.
search in Google for information on the new product known as Cocktail Bomb
Go to 34minutes and 22 or 40 seconds in and view the entrepreneurial pitch for Cocktail Bomb
The inventor is asking for $200 000 for a 10% share in her business.
She ends up accepting an offer of $400 000 in exchange for giving each of 4 investors a 5% share.
Do a Literature Review of relevant academic articles to throw light on any 4 of the following 5 RQs:
- What, according to Negotiation and Communication theory, is great about her pitch to the Dragons and their validation thereof?
- a. What, according to Innovation and Product Development theory, is great about the product? and b. What aspects of IP management may need urgent attention?
- Why, according to Entrepreneurship theory, are the Dragons so excited about the future opportunities of this business?
- Apart from the funding, what mentoring issues could be beneficial or problematic, given that there will be 4 investors/mentors in this venture?
- What ethical dilemmas may be faced surrounding the promotion and sale of this product and how could they be resolved?
At least 4 of the following resources (i.e. one per RQ) must be used, correctly cited in-text and correctly listed in your Reference List:
- Building Trust and Agreement in Negotiations
- Positioning Negotiation Styles within a Values framework
- The Personal and Corporate Values journey Chart
- Resolving Ethical Dilemmas in Closely-held Businesses
- Managing Ethical Dilemmas in Non-Profit Organisations
- The Values Journey – a definitive guide in 55 minutes (video)
- Leading with a Synergistic Mindset
- Entrepreneur’s Leadership Experiences with specific regard to Mentorship
- Leading Organisations by the Values Journey Model
- A pathway to Sustainable Business Success in SMEs through Innovative Leadership Processes and Synergizing Principles
- Ethics and Ethical Dilemmas
You may add up to 4 additional references from peer-reviewed academic journals that must be sourced via either ProQuest or Research Gate. No more than 8 references in total may be used. All sources must be correctly referenced in Holmes-adapted-Harvard style.
Assignment 1 – Literature Review – Required Structure
Your Literature Review Report should be in accordance with the following structure:
- Page 1: Official Group Assignment Cover Sheet (from Blackboard site)
- Page 2 and main body of report: Use a new sub-heading for each of the 4 RQs you selected. For each RQ, discuss relevant literature and demonstrate how it has provided you with a good contextual understanding of each of the Research Questions (RQs).
- Append your Team Charter
Team Charter Appendix
Your ‘Team Charter’ must be included as an appendix within your Literature Review submission. The Team Charter appendix must indicate what roles were undertaken by each member of the team.. [note: If you are working SOLO, the team charter appendix is NOT required.]
- Explain the team’s agreed goals and timeline for completion (Due dates, meetings, milestones, deliverables)
- Who will be responsible for each activity? and/or What particular team-roles will each member contribute to the team?
- How will your team ensure that members contribute as expected to the team and that the team performs as expected, including: What are your team’s expectations regarding meeting attendance (being on time, leaving early, missing meetings, etc.) and what process will team members follow if they have an emergency and cannot attend a team meeting or complete their individual work promised to the team (deliverable)?
Team Charter must be the last page of your Literature Review submission.
Submit the assignment as a single document, including the Holmes official COVER SHEET as the first page and then the body of your report correctly structured, followed by your Reference List and then the Team Charter Appendix.
HI6008 Assignment 1 – Topic Development – Marking Rubric
|1. Structure of the Literature Review Report||Report is correctly structured in all respects
|Report is correctly structured in most respects
|Report is somewhat correctly structured
|Report is of questionable structure
|Structure is unsatisfactory
|2. Literature search and sources||At least 1 of the given academic sources per each of the 4 RQs, well summarised and integrated relative to each of the RQs, with or without a maximum of 4 additional literature sources.
|1 given academic source per RQ, are well summarised and a good attempt has been made to integrate, with or without a maximum of 4 additional literature sources.
|Academic sources include 4 of those specified, which are sufficiently summarised within the appropriate RQ. No more than 8 sources overall.
|Questionable academic sources or discussion OR some of the 4 specified resources were not accessed, referenced, and correctly used OR more than 4 additional sources OR more than 8 sources overall.
|Insufficient demonstration of ability to search for an apply academic literature OR none of the specified resources were correctly used.
|3.Info and Flow||Information is highly-relevant and flows with a high degree of logic
|Information is relevant and flows logically
|Information is somewhat relevant and has some logical flow
|Information is lacking relevance and/or logical flow
|Information is irrelevant or does not flow
|4.Overall Impression||The report is very professional and an exemplar of outstanding academic research at AQF level 9
|The report is professional and an example of good academic research at AQF level 9
|The report represents a satisfactory example of academic research at AQF level 9
|The report has some deficiencies relative to academic research at AQF level 9
|The report is NOT representative of academic research at AQF level 9
Late submission: …………. Days @ -5% per day = ………………….
Solo group -20%
no team charter -10%
No cover sheet / incorrect / inaccurate / not single document @ -10%
Non-compliant referencing @-10% Total /50
Student Assessment Citation and Referencing Rules
Holmes has implemented a revised Harvard approach to referencing. The following rules apply:
- Reference sources in assignments are limited to sources that provide full-text access to the
source’s content for lecturers and markers.
- The reference list must be located on a separate page at the end of the essay and titled:
- The reference list must include the details of all the in-text citations, arranged A-Z
alphabetically by author surname with each reference numbered (1 to 10, etc.) and each
reference MUST include a hyperlink to the full text of the cited reference source.
- Hawking, P., McCarthy, B. & Stein, A. 2004. Second Wave ERP Education, Journal of
Information Systems Education, Fall, http://jise.org/Volume15/n3/JISEv15n3p327.pdf
- All assignments must include in-text citations to the listed references. These must include
the surname of the author/s or name of the authoring body, year of publication, page
number of the content, and paragraph where the content can be found. For example, “The
company decided to implement an enterprise-wide data warehouse business intelligence
strategy (Hawking et al., 2004, p3(4)).”
Non-Adherence to Referencing Rules
Where students do not follow the above rules, penalties apply:
- For students who submit assignments that do not comply with all aspects of the rules, a 10% penalty will be applied.
- Students who comply with rules BUT their citations are ‘fake’ will be reported for academic misconduct.
End of Assessment