Introduction to Autism Spectrum Disorder
Assignment 3 – Explaining Autism (25%)
This assignment relates to the following Course Learning Requirements:
• CLR 1 – Explain the neurological, behavioural, and developmental characteristics of individuals
• CLR 2 – Assess the characteristics and skills of individuals with ASD using formal and informal
Objective of this Assignment: To demonstrate your general knowledge and understanding of Autism.
There are two parts to this assignment; each will be graded separately; the two pieces together will
produce the 25%.
Part 1 – Create a vignette 10%
This vignette should provide a summary of a fictional or real (remember to change names and respect
confidentiality) person who has Autism Spectrum Disorder. The vignette needs to include information
about the individual’s skills, skill deficits, and characteristics that make it clear the person has ASD. The
vignette should be written following APA formatting and no less than 1 page but should not exceed 3 or
Part 2 – Create a video/voice file 15%
As someone who works with people with Autism, you will need to be able to explain the core diagnostic
criteria, and the disorder in general. In this part, you can chose to submit either a video file or a voice
file. The file should contain the following:
• Explain the two core diagnostic criteria including examples
• Describe the excess and deficit behaviours seen in people with ASD.
• Draw comparisons of the characteristics seen in individuals with ASD when compared to their
typically developing peers. For example: An individual with ASD might not appear to show emotions
of excitement when they see their parents face first thing in the morning as most typically
developing children do.
• Explain who you chose the individual for the vignette and outline how their characteristics match
that of the core criteria.
• You should speak clearly and present your information in one continuous video/voice file and not
separate ones for each point discussed. The video/voice file should be long enough to convey your
message but should not exceed 20 minutes.
Tip: Imagine you are a professional who is asked to write a short description (vignette portion) of what
you see on a given day or your general experience with a child. You are then asked to sit down with the
parents/new staff/etc to discuss (audio/video portion) to explain this child’s characteristics in
comparison to typical children as well as how they fit into an ASD diagnosis. Pretend this is a short 20
minute meeting with this parent/new staff/etc. where you can give a synopsis of this child and the
criteria of this assignment in a professional, informative, straightforward way.
Assignment 3 – Vignette Marking Rubric (10%)
|Clearly describes and categorizes
some orall informationcouldbe
Assignment 3: Video or Voice File Marking Rubric (15%)
understanding of t h e d iagnostic